Our quizmaster Tony Hull has been working hard and has come up with a quiz that hopefully appeals to all birders!
We hope you enjoyed taking part in all the quizzes up to press, and here we finish off the initiative with a bang: a British Birds ID Challenge with 50 photos for you to grapple with the identity of! They are all species on the British list, ranging from common breeding birds to rare vagrants.
We're very thankful for all of you that have supported the Observatory by taking part in these quizzes, we are very thankful for the support we have recieved so far. Taking part in this quiz really will make a huge difference here at the Obs, now and in the coming months.
Thanks to some very generous donations, this quiz really does have some fantastic prizes, worth over £1000 combined, for the top 5 entrants. They are:
1.) A Rare Bird Alert pager and a year's platinum subscription.
2.) White's Thrush A4 print by Ian Lewington.
3.) £200 voucher for NatureTrek.
4.) A set of four Spurn rarity photographs (Masked Shrike, Great Snipe, Ivory Gull & SIberian Accentor) by Martin Standley.
5.) A year's membership of the Oriental Bird Club.
Three taster pics from the quiz are displayed here. The quiz is open until 00:00 on Mon 22nd June.
There is an entrance fee of £5, the easiest way to pay is through PayPal on our shop site here if you can't do PayPal then our Chairman will be able to sort you out, drop him an email on [email protected]
1. To enter the quiz you need to go to our online shop link here and buy a ticket through PayPal.
2. Once you have paid your £5, you will get an email with the quiz.
3. Follow the instructions on top of the quiz sheet, fill it out and send it back!
Thanks to all who took part in our European Wildlife Quiz, the answers were;
1. Which European island has an endemic species of Nuthatch?
2. Identify the butterfly in the picture below.
3. Other than humans what is the only species of primate that occurs in the wild in Europe?
4. Monfrague, Guadarrama and Sierra Nevada are national parks in which country?
5. Identify the mammal in the picture below.
6. How many species of woodpecker breed in Europe?
7. As of 2019 which species of butterfly is regarded as the rarest in Europe?
8. How many species of cat occur in Europe, and for additional points can you name them?
5: European Wildcat; Eurasian Lynx; Iberian Lynx; Swamp Cat; Persian Leopard
9. To the nearest thousand how many species of tree are there in Europe?
10. Identify the bird in the picture below.
Fuerteventura/Canary Island Chat
11. The Ottoman Viper is found in which two European countries?
Greece & Turkey
12. What is the largest European land mammal?
European Bison or Wisent
13. According to Birdlife International how many pairs of Spanish Imperial Eagle bred in Europe in 2016?
14. What is the largest national park in Europe?
15. Identify the butterfly in the picture below.
16. In which country did the first European records of Cerulean Warbler and Black-throated Blue Warbler occur?
17. Identify the cetacean in the picture below.
Atlantic Spotted Dolphin
18. How many native species of orchid occur in the British Isles?
19. Matsalu Bay is a key birding/wildlife site in which European country?
20. Identify the mammal in the picture below.
21. How many species of swallowtail butterfly occur regularly in Europe, and for bonus points can you name them?
5: Swallowtail; Southern Swallowtail; Scarce Swallowtail; Corsican Swallowtail; Spanish Swallowtail
22. Identify the fish in the picture below.
23. Identify the snake in the picture below.
Southern Smooth Snake
24. ‘Scilly Shrew’ is the local name given to which species?
Lesser White-toothed Shrew
25. The Oleander Hawk Moth is a rare migrant/vagrant to Britain, - on which 3 European Islands is the moth principally found?
Sicily, Crete, Cyprus
26. Identify the bird in the picture below.
Cyprus Pied Wheatear
27. How many species of lizard occur in Britain, and for bonus points can you name them?
3: Common Lizard; Sand Lizard; Slow Worm
28. Identify the mammal in the picture below.
29. In which European country was the most recent Western Palearctic record of Little Whimbrel?
30. Identify the butterfly in the picture below.
Total marks avaliable = 45
Congratulations to winner Jan Butchers with 39/45
Vouchers: In response to the COVID-19 outbreak we have now added vouchers to our online shop. These can be used for purchases of Spurn Bird Observatory merchandise, accommodation costs for staying at the Observatory and events. Please note these are not redeemable on the Spurn Migration Festival 2020. We are also unable to redeem the vouchers through the online shop for the moment.
These vouchers are designed so that you can support the Observatory during these hard times and redeem them once the lockdown/COVID-19 outbreak is over.
Back to news
Posted: 08 June 2020
Thanks to all the many photographers who allow us to use their images on this site, in particular Dave McAleavey, Martin Standley, Mike Watson, Richard Willison.